We all know how much of a struggle in can be sometimes to come up with ideas that the whole family can enjoy. Not only do you have to worry about “Bobby” and “Sarah” having different interests, you often have to make sure it fits within your budget. Here’s a list of five family friendly ideas that you can do this weekend in Edmonton that won’t break the bank:
1. On Sunday, September 28th, the City of Edmonton is having a free admission day at many of the city’s favourite attractions, such as Fort Edmonton Park and the Edmonton Valley Zoo. One word of advice: Use public transportation. Parking is bound to be a nightmare! For more information on participating locations, click here.
2. Head to 104th Street this Saturday to experience the outdoor vibe of City Market Downtown before it moves inside City Hall for the winter. Sample foods, listen to buskers, and browse hundreds of handmade items. Can’t make it this Saturday? Don’t worry! There are still a few more Saturdays left until they move indoors on October 18th.
3. Go for a walk, or play outdoors in your back/front yard. Fall is the perfect season for outdoor activities as the temperature has cooled down since the summer, but winter’s nasty below zero weather hasn’t quite hit. Aside from the temperature, the foliage is rampant with colour. Collect pretty leaves to use in a craft, take photos without having to add a filter on Instagram, or rake and then jump into a giant pile of leaves. No money required!
4. Have you ever heard of geocaching? According to the official website “Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.” Think of it as a technologically advanced treasure hunt. All you need is a GPS, or a smartphone, and some mode of transportation. It can be a bit tricky at first, but once you get the feel for it, can be strangely addicting! Plus, your kids will be super excited once they find the “cache”. You can find tutorials on how to go geocaching here.
5. Go to a sports game! The highly anticipated CFL game between the Edmonton Eskimos and Saskatchewan Roughriders is tonight at 8pm and tickets are still available! Check out availability here. Make sure to purchase a warm cup of hot chocolate- DECSA staff and volunteers will be in the back preparing it!
Football not your thing? FC Edmonton plays the New York Cosmos at Clarke Stadium, September 28th at 2pm. You can buy your tickets online here.
Happy weekend everyone!